Welcome to the Stage.

The Bronx Prep Performing Arts Academy offers 5th-12th grade students an intensive Performance Studies experience spanning speech, theater, musical theater, stagecraft, directing and more.


Friday, November 30, 2012

Director Shaquasia Harvey: The One Acts, In Her Own Words


Being a director was a great experience for me. Not only did I meet new people, but I also learned a lot about myself.

Before directing “Oscar and the Lady in Pink,” I had passed my cast members Rachel and Kelvin in the halls many times without conversation because were in different grades and I thought we wouldn’t be able to connect. Now I see that I actually do have a lot in common with the two. We all share a love for acting, voicing our opinions, and solving creative problems. If I hadn’t directed this play I wouldn’t have met these amazing people, who I can now call friends--or even my family.

While directing this play I also learned a lot about myself. I learned that I should engage in more activities that I wouldn’t usually do, because I really enjoyed being a director. I got to see something that I created come to life and that made me feel really proud. Another thing that I learned is that the person in charge is not the only person who can contribute ideas. During this process Rachel and Kelvin had great ideas that were used, and the play wouldn’t have been such a success had they not voiced these suggestions.

I look forward to being a director again. I can’t wait to meet more new people, work together with others to see a project through from beginning to end, and hopefully learn more about myself in the process.

The Cast of the One Acts Celebrates Their First Rehearsal at "The Point"

No comments:

Post a Comment